Take The Pledge!
I pledge to:
- Educate myself and learn about mental health and addiction problems.
- Avoid using stigmatizing words like “crazy”, “nuts” and “addict”.
- Never reduce people to a diagnosis.
- Share experiences, stories and information with others to spread awareness.
- Support those living with mental health or addiction diagnoses.
Shame. Fear. Alone. These are some words that go hand in hand with stigma. Over 18 million adults in the U.S. experience a substance use disorder and 1 in 4 of those adults also have a serious co-occuring mental health disorder (SAMHSA, 2018). Mental health and addiction are still seen by many as choices that people should snap out of or stop. Together we can reduce stigma and create a positive change. It is important for all people to actively counter stigma and to support the needs of those with substance use and mental illness. Taking an active role in the fight against stigma, improper attitudes, and behaviors will help empower others to get the help they need.
– Melissa Rocchi EVP of Operation’s Expands Upon our Pledge